IO Research Stipend

The SNIS IO research stipend for young scholars is a new funding opportunity aimed at promoting Geneva-based research on International Organisations.

The SNIS IO research stipend for young scholars is a new funding opportunity aimed at promoting Geneva-based research on International Organisations.

The SNIS can offer either one six-month stipend or two three-month stipends per calendar year.

Second-year PhD students can apply for the scheme. The benefits are:

  • Grantees receive a stipend of CHF 1’500.-/month to help with their living expenses.
  • For the duration of their research, stipendiaries have their own desk at the SNIS offices located in central Geneva.

 

Scope of the stipend

Eligibility

  • Entrants must be registered second-year PhD students in a Swiss institution of higher education (Definition see: https://bit.ly/2dCPA7p).
  • Entrants cannot submit proposals connected to a specific International Organisation if they have had prior working contracts with the same organisation.
  • Entrants must be younger than 30 years at the time of submission.
  • Entrants do not need to be citizens or residents of Switzerland.
  • Entrants may not be part of an ongoing SNIS funded project.

Selection Criteria

  • The applicant is eligible as defined above.
  • The application is complete as defined above.
  • The proposed research must be concerned with at least one International Organisation (Definition see: https://bit.ly/2FieXGs)
  • The proposed research is original and timely.
  • Entrants can demonstrate that they benefit from the physical proximity to IO(s).
  • The proposed research can be carried out in either three months or six months.

Online Application

Entrants must submit their application with the required documents and information online via snis.ch/stipend. The application containsPersonal information (via webform).

  • Letter of motivation by applicant (as pdf).
  • Research proposal (pdf format, max.length 2000 words).
  • Support letter by PhD supervisor committing to monitor the candidate’s research efforts during the stipend period (pdf format).
  • Interest in outlined research confirmed by IO staff (pdf of email).
  • CV with bibliography (pdf format).

IO Research Stipend

Submission status: closed

Call open from 17.04.2019 to 20.05.2019

Decision taken by mid-June 2019

Earliest possible start date: 01.09.2019

Deliverables

Research report outline: – Scientifc advances – Potential policy implications. In addition, all stipend winners will be interviewed at the conclusion of the stipend in order to summarize their  experience. The SNIS might use these interviews for communication purposes, pending approval from the stipend recipient.

Jury

The Jury is composed of:

  • The President of the SNIS Scientific Committee
  • The President of the International Geneva Award Committee
  • The President of the SNIS Award jury

The Governing Committee of the SNIS validates the choice of the jury. All decisions are final and there is no appellate body. 

Procedure

After selection by the jury, stipendiaries sign an agreement. After the signature of the agreement, the stipendaries receive  80% of the stipend. Upon the end of the stipend period the stipendiary must provide a research report. If the report is deemed satisfactory by the jury, the remainder of the stipend (20%) will be transferred swiftly.

Terms of engagement 

  • For the duration of the stipend, the stipendiaries must work in Geneva i.e. it is not possible to receive the stipend to do desk research at one’s home University.
  • The stipend is an award for excellence i.e. it is not a salary.
  • Stipendiaries need to ascertain that they are properly insured i.e. they have medical and accident coverage.
  • Stipendiaries must hold a valid visa or a passport that allows them to work in Switzerland.
  • The SNIS cannot accommodate more than one stipendiary at a time (when two three-months stipends are granted they must be organised sequentially).

Contact us about the submission process

15 + 15 =